Workshop outline - getting webfonts to work and work well
- What’s a webfont?
- What does “work well” mean?
Opening activity (as people arrive)
- Write your warm-up answers on the two posters.
Agenda, big faces
- What fonts have you used recently?
- Why did you use that font?
1. System fonts and font stacks
What are common system fonts? What are “safe” fonts to use?
Tasks: Implement and test a system font stack
2. Webfont hosting services
What are webfonts?
We will look at three hosting options: Typekit, MyFonts, Google Fonts.
Tasks: Implement and test a hosted font stack
3. Self-hosting webfonts
Where to get fonts.
Generating webfonts at fontsquirrel.com.
Tasks: Implement and test a self-hosted font stack
4. Best practice for loading fonts
font loading api - mention but we won’t use this
fontfaceobserver - example use
font-display - in the future
Tasks: Implement and test fontfaceobserver
Follow up on Tuesday morning
- What’s 1 thing you learned at the workshop?
- What will you do with what you learned?
- Post on meetup to inspire the other attendees! :)