Rough outline for the day.
- Short opening presentation from CTFEDs orgs.
- Form teams.
- Benchmark your site.
- Get site running locally and / or on a staging environment.
- Make a mini Kanban board for your team.
- Go, go, go!
- Just before the end of the hackathon, run the benchmarks again.
- Closing: next steps.
- Why are we doing this?
- What do we want to achieve today?
- Shape of the day.
- site you want to work on;
- good mix of skills and experience in the team.
Run the site through:
- PageSpeed Insight.
- WebAIM’s WAVE.
- WebPageTest. Use the following settings (It should look like this).
- Test Location: Moto G (Gen 1)
- Browser: Moto G - Chrome
- Advanced Settings:
- Connection: Mobile 3G
- Number of Tests to Run: 5
- Repeat View: First View and Repeat View
- Capture Video: true
Note: If you you’re using the WebPageTest API Wrapper for NodeJS and have an API key you can run
webpagetest test <url> --key $WPT_API_KEY --location "Dulles_MotoG" --connectivity "3G" --runs "5" --video or
webpagetest test <url> -k $WPT_API_KEY -l "Dulles_MotoG" -y "3G" -r "5" -v.
- Grab a bit of A4 and make a Kanban board with the following columns. It should like a bit like this example board: big first column and small second and third columns.
- Options ✋ (Like To Do, but not a To Do list: we probably won’t have time to do all the things)
- Doing 👉 (Each person should only be working on one thing at a time.)
- Done 👍 (Huzzah! Nice one :) )
- Review the site and your benchmark data and write a bunch stickies for things that you could do.
- Go, go, go!
- Pick one sticky to work on.
- Put your initials in the corner and move it to Doing.
- When you’re done, move it Done and take a new sticky.
- Repeat until awesome.
Why are you here?
What’s one thing you’ve learned so far?
Attendees must read and follow our Code of Conduct. Thanks! :)